It belongs to an antidepressant group of medications, which prevent or relieve depression. In medical environment they are named SSRIs – selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin boosters. Their work is to correct chemical imbalances in the brain membranes.
How to administer pills
The selection of administration route and amount relies on general health state and toleration. It can be detected only by a physician. Though, some patients get the remedy without prescription. The basic advices that must be kept by a regular user include:
- Take the tablets orally on a full stomach after your meal, whether it is generic or brand-name drug.
- Proceed your course even when you get the healing results.
- Post-traumatic stress conditions, obsessive-compulsive disorder and panic attacks are cured with an initial 25mg dosage of Zoloft once per day.
- An appropriate single dose for the premenstrual severe syndrome is 50mg.
If your healing results stay the same or worsen – address to your pharmacist without hesitation. The amount can be decreased if serious reactions occur.
What to do if you forget to take your pill?
It is advised to replenish the missed amount of Sertraline when it is remembered. But it can be skipped as well. It is a reasonable action when it is a high time for another tablet. Additional doses are forbidden, as they can cause an overdose situation.
Keep in your mind this fact when you decide to consume pills without prescription. Overdose is usually detected when patients have unbalanced coordination, extreme restlessness, excessive inclination to sleep, or vomiting. Unfortunately, it has no antitoxin. Thus, an adequate medical support is required as soon as possible. Disregard of overdose symptoms can cause severe seizures, visual or sensory hallucinations, or even coma.
Additional components of Zoloft may cause hypersensitivity in patients. Especially it is likely to happen if you have allergic reactions to other drugs. Any of such complications should be minded and reported to your physician. Some chronic illnesses may worsen. Check if you experienced any of them in the anamnesis:
- hyperthyroidism, Thyroid cancer or Graves disease;
- abnormal liver conditions, such as fatty liver, hepatitis or cirrhosis;
- bleeding from the nose;
- uncontrolled convulsions.
Geriatric patients may suffer from bleeding issues or unbalanced level of salts. In pediatric practice Zoloft is used under strict medical supervision, as it may cause total appetite loss.
The medication is unlikely to develop a chemical dependence. Withdrawal symptoms may occasionally occur, so patients usually choose a gradual refusal. Usually alcoholic beverages increase sleepiness in users when combined with the remedy. Refuse or limit your drinks during the therapy. Otherwise, you can feel failure in making decisions, clear thinking, or in routine reactions.
Potential danger of side effects
As any alternative remedy, generic Zoloft has been studied for its probable side effects. Scientific reports indicated them as the following:
- severe allergic reactions;
- abnormal tendency to vomit;
- increased perspiration;
- xerostomia, or dry mouth;
- changes in mood and psychical discomfort.
These will get better after 7-14 days as your organism gets used to the remedy.