Vaginal infections (such as bacterial vaginosis) appear when bacterial flora becomes imbalanced. It is effectively cured by generic forms of Metronidazole. Operations on the intestines, as well as gynecological surgeries are often supported by the medication. By these means anaerobes cannot develop and cause an infection. Patients, who are sensitive to penicillin, can take generic Flagyl safely. Another usage of the remedy is known in treating Helicobacter pylori (bacterial pathogen in the stomach). The medication is produced in tablets, capsules, injections, oral fluid, and suppositories.
Before you initiate the therapy
Sufferers with certain health conditions may discover that certain medicines are not advisable. As well, some cases of treatment require an additional care. Taking into account these facts, let your physician to consider:
- whether you are planning to become pregnant, already are pregnant, or breastfeeding;
- regular alcohol abuse;
- complications with liver function;
- if you suffer from porphyria (an occasional hereditary blood disease);
- if you take other remedies (prescribed or non-prescribed);
- previous allergic responses to any component of the drug.
How to obtain the best effect from Flagyl
A great number of patients are used to administrating pills without prescription. Before initiating your treatment, it is reasonable to study general instruction on the manufacturer’s leaflet. This concerns both generic and brand-name forms of Flagyl. It will help to preclude any unpredictable situations during your therapy.
If you got a prescription – just follow all recommendations as they are. Various infections have different ways of treating. As a guideline, the primary dose in adult patient is 400mg from two to three times per day. Though, each separate case is usually treated by different amount of Metronidazole. In children under 18 years old amounts of the drug are detected as per age and weight parameters.
Use your medication properly
Take the whole tablet in the same amount and time during the day, after you have completed your meal. You should complete the prescribed pills unless you are advised to quit it by your physician. The usual duration of the course is a week. In special cases it can be changed to three days or two weeks. If you stop your pills before the medical course is completed, your symptoms most probably will reappear.
In case you forgot to administer a tablet, you should do it immediately when you recall about it. Space the uncompleted daily amount equally throughout the rest hours of the day. Do not geminate your dose to compensate the missed one.
Can it create any complications?
In conjunction with the benefits, Flagyl can induce unnecessary results. Though, not every patient has side effects. The commonest of them are:
- Feeling sick as well as vomiting. This can be solved by eating simple food, avoid fatty meals. Make certain you administer the pill after snack or food.
- You may feel changes in taste, coated tongue or dry mouth. Check with your physician which mouth wash is suitable.
- Appetite loss can be handled with the food you generally enjoy. Most probably, this condition will disappear within next days.
An improvement of side complications usually does not persist for a long time. Your body adapts to a new medication quickly. In case any of them still continue or become worrisome, apply for a medical checkup as soon as possible.